Home Modification Course #4
Raising Community Awareness and Coalition Building
COURSE 4 LEARNING OBJECTIVES
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the function of coalitions and coalition building.
- Define the characteristics of a home modification action coalition and the process by which one can be created, including needs assessment, mission identification, governance, administration, and evaluation.
- Explain effective mechanisms to increase home modification awareness and activities.
- Identify the benefits of university-community partnerships.
- Recognize the benefits of having a lead coordinator and how to select appropriate candidates.
- Identify possible home modification coalition members and their roles.
- Equip a local coalition with strategies and ideas to implement activities that will increase home modification activity and awareness.
- Provide examples of local, state, and national home modification coalitions.
- Outline the challenges associated with home modification coalitions and the strategies to overcome them.
- Recognize the importance of structure and governance for coalition success and how to create these mechanisms.
- Employ the skills necessary to plan and hold a successful home modification action coalition meeting.
- Establish ground-rules for coalition discussions and decision-making.
- Evaluate how a home modification action coalition can maintain long term self-sufficiency.
- Select diverse home modification action coalition activities that relate to the coalition’s mission, goals, and objectives with tangible outcomes.
- Describe the importance of targeting coalition activities to specific groups.
- Explain the value of separate committees to carry out specific coalition activities.
- Identify publicity and promotion vehicles and how to create recognition of home modification issues to the community.
- Develop education and training activities that increase the awareness, sensitivity, and skills of professionals and consumers about the importance of home modification.
- Conduct advocacy and increase funding related to home modification.
- Examine ways to improve, expand, or establish the home modification service delivery system in a local community.
Continuing Education: Equivalent of 12 Classtime Hours
Education Level: Introductory